Proposal for a mixed use regeneration development of the OAKA (Olympic Athletic Center of Athens) Olympic site
Location: 37, Kifissias Ave, Maroussi, Athens, Greece
Project consortium: News Agency, Redstone, Bluerock, AECOM, Colliers
Technical advisor on behalf of News Agency : A&D Architects and Designers
Athens Alive is referring to the proposal for a mixed use regeneration development of the Olympic Athletic Center of Athens, known as OAKA, in Marousi Greece that puts wellness, work and passion at the heart of a community of sports fans, leading businesses and leisure seekers.
The main goals of the project are:
1. Regenerate OAKA, creating a Northern CBD and entertainment zone.
2. Preserve the iconic Calatrava work.
3. Save Panathinaikos FC and secure its long term future.
4. Provide modern office facilities and attract international business.
5. Provide a world class home for Greek sports, cultural, entertainment, leisure and retail.
6. Drive productivity in a world beating Greek business facility.
7. Incubate young retail, tech and other firms.
8. Based on benchmarks this will result in €1.1bn of investment, provide more than 3,000 new jobs and €18bn of GVA and €7bn of tax over the next twenty years.
Building upon the masterplan principles the functional diagram sets out the wider, physical intentions for the site. Land uses are proposed with careful consideration to their adjacencies:
- Public park: At the heart of the masterplan a large public park. With open lawns, picnic areas, community sports courts, and an adventure playground; the park will attract visitors from across Athens.
- Hotels and conference: Located near the Erini Metro station taking advantage of the quick connections to the city centre and airport. The conference centre is linked to the Olympic Velodrome offering a new use for the extraordinary venue.
- Mixed Use Neighborhood: Primarily office space with ground floor F&B and retail, this areas is intended to be an extension of the Ag. Thomas neighborhood to the north.
- Professional and Elite sports: These faculties are clustered together around the Olympic Stadium. These are major attractions and will draw visitors to the site to enjoy the F&B and retail.
- Community Sports: Based around the Olympic swimming pools the varied community facilities are linked to the Alsoupoli and Ag. Filothei neighbourhoods
- Landmark Offices: Located on the very visible corner of Kimis and Kapodistriou Avenues and linked with the Olympic Velodrome.